Monday, May 10, 2010

How to Have Beautiful Skin


Did you know that many nutrients that are crucial to excellent brain function are the very same nutrients that give us vibrant, radiant skin? Read the following story to hear how they are connected.
I love to do research, not every does. In fact, some people dread it. But I have fond memories of combing through the library stacks to find articles relating to my dissertation topic and then spending hours reading them to find the threads of commonality. So, when I was faced with the onset of a (rather unslightly) facial skin condition this past fall, what does someone like me do? RESEARCH! And lots of it.
I was officially diagnosed with rosacea and peri-oral dermatitis, but I was not satisfied with the standard treatment for these diseases (oral and topical antibiotics). I know from my years of studying natural health that the skin is an organ of elimination, like the kidneys and digestive tract. And if something is showing up on your face, it usually means that something pretty important is happening on the inside. Moreover, a skin rash is quite literally inflammation, so I needed to get to the cause and the cure for inflammation. What I found out changed my approach to this problem completely.
Did you know that many nutrients that are crucial to excellent brain function are the very same nutrients that give us vibrant, radiant skin? I was so surprised to discover in my research that it all starts in the WOMB: the same layer of tissue from which the brain is derived is also the source of the skin! So, naturally, there is a very strong connection between the two structures in our bodies.
So, what are those nutrients that feed both the brain and beautiful skin?
To keep this simple I will only tell you part of the answer. In other articles, I will relate more about the anti-inflammation eating plan, which covers more of what you'll need to eat for maximum brain function and beautiful skin. The following four nutrients will minimize wrinkles, smooth out skin tone, reduce sagging, and add overall glow to your skin. To find much more detailed information and additional resources on this topic, I suggest you read Dr. Nicholas Perricone's various books on skincare from which I derived some of the facts listed below.
1)            Water. You have heard this a hundred times, but I have tried it for myself: the minimum amount of water needed for beautifully hydrated skin is eight glasses a day. I think ten glasses is even better. Not only does water hydrate skin, but it also flushes harmful toxins out of the body, toxins which are causing skin to look old and sallow.
2)            Good fats. It is a myth that a fat-free diet is good for you. You need to ingest good fats in order to burn and release the bad fats that you have consumed, even in the distant past. The good fats consist of essential fatty acids such as flax oil, oils found in fish especially salmon, and olive oil. You can also add coconut oil, avocado, and raw nuts to your food plan. Think about it: you can't have delightfully soft skin without some oil lubricating your system.
3)            Antioxidants. Any fruit or vegetable with very bright colors tends to have high levels of anti-oxidants, but choosing berries such as blueberries every morning with breakfast keeps it simple. And of course, ingest lots of Vitamin C (3,000-6,000 mg), a water soluble anti-oxidant found in many fruits and vegetables. Finally, alpha lipoic acid is considered to be the mother of all anti-oxidants because it is water and fat soluble and very powerful. It is hard to obtain this one via foods, so a high quality supplement is best.
4)            DMAE. Eating salmon (only wild Alaskan salmon contains DMAE) on a daily basis is a good idea because it is the highest source of this natural compound. DMAE is not only excellent for memory and overall brain health, but can actually lift the skin on your face naturally, greatly minimizing sagging.
Try to consume these four food items each day and notice the change in your appearance over the course of a few weeks. While you are feeding yourself high-quality brain food, you are also nurturing your skin. Personally, I started eating canned Wild Alaskan salmon for breakfast each day, covered with ground flax and chia seeds (yup, like the Chia Pet, which happen to be super high in iron), sprinkled with flax or olive oil and sea salt, and a small side serving of blueberries. An unconventional breakfast, yes, but it wakes me up better than coffee ever did.
Finally, you can put it all together by applying these nutrients to your facial skin. Many products are available that contain Alpha Lipoic Acid, DMAE and Vitamin C for topical application. I have literally seen the redness and rash disappear from my face through this regimen. I hope it helps you too!

1 comment:

  1. Water has made all the difference! You were right, once again! Thanks for all your daily wisdom!

    ReplyDelete